Frequently Asked Questions

1. When can I start classes at San Ignacio University?

San Ignacio has three start dates january, may and september.

2. What criteria are used to determine if a student is acceptable to our programs of study?

Students are accepted based on their past grades from either High school or College, letters of recommendation, College Placement Test score and essays.

3. Is financial aid available?.

Yes we do have financial aid. 

4. Can I transfer credits from another school?.

Some credits may transfer from previous institutions. Upon receipt of official transcripts we can analyze your previous courses and determine if the credit will transfer.

5. Where can I stay while visiting campus?

Listed below is a list of hotels that are close to the school;
Best Western Miami Airport West Inn and Suites (1.78 Miles away) – (305) 463-7195
Doral Golf Resort & Spa, A Marriott Resort (2 miles away) – (305) 592-2000
Hampton Inn Miami-west At Doral Boulevard (2 Miles Away) – (305) 500-9300
The Blue Doral Golf Resort (2 Miles Away) – (305) 597-8600

6. How long is the associate degree program?

The Associate of Science and Associate in Art Degree Programs last 4 terms (each term being around 4 months).

7. Can you double degree in Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry?

Our Baking and Pastry degree is a diploma. Our Culinary Arts degree is an Associate of Science degree, so you could obtain both taking the remainder courses needed.

8. Do you offer part-time study or night classes?

Due to the level of focus required to earn a San Ignacio University Degree, classes are currently offered on a full-time schedule only. We have two schedules available for students: a morning shift from 8 AM-2PM and an evening shift from 5 PM-11PM

9. What degree will I earn?

You will earn our Associate in Science Degree in Culinary Arts.

10. Will I be a chef when I graduate from the Culinary Arts program?

When you graduate, you will have learned the fundamentals of the culinary and baking and pastry arts and will be poised to become a chef and a leader. With industry experience and continued learning with experienced mentors, you can become a Chef.

There are many job choices available to you with an Associate degree; and you can take advantage of a greater variety of foodservice industry jobs than ever before—not only in cooking, but in related areas such as food communications, teaching, sales, and research and development.
Extension Courses.

11. Do I need any special clothing to attend the Chef for a Day courses?

You don´t need to come in uniform or any special clothes, because it`s just a one day class. We recommend you to bring long pants and tighten your hair preferably so you can work in comfort.

12. Does San Ignacio University currently offer financial aid?

Yes we do have financial aid.

13. How can I pay for my San Ignacio University education?

San Ignacio University offers in house tuition prices at no interest and even has reduced tuition prices for those that pay in advance.

14. What scholarships do you offer?

We don’t offer scholarships. However if an institution or company is willingto pay for your studies, it is acceptable.

15. What does it cost to attend San Ignacio University?

More information can be found on the tuition and fees section of our web site.

16. Where is the San Ignacio University located?

San Ignacio University is located in the central area of Doral, Miami which is west of Miami International Airport and considered an upscale suburb of Miami. It is also very close to places such as The Doral Golf Club, The Dolphin Mall, Miami International Mall and to corporate offices of important businesses.
It is located in the central area of Doral, Miami.

17. As an International student, can I work while I go to school?

With an F-1 student visa, international students qualify to work on campus, if positions are available, for a maximum of 20 hours per week with authorization by the school official.
You may also complete the required externship in the U.S. with authorization by the school official. Employment authorization is job-specific (your I-20 form must state where and for how long your externship will be).
You may also accept part-time employment off campus after nine months of full-time study as long as you receive authorization for the DHS via the application process. The time worked will be deducted from post-completion employment.
M-1 students are not authorized to work while attending school.

18. If I am a US resident, can I work while I go to school?

There are many opportunities to earn extra money. You should be able to work as long as it doesn’t interfere with your education or your visa status (if you’re an international student).

19. What is the average age of San Ignacio University students?

The average age is 25.

20. Do you have on-campus housing? How much does it cost?

Yes, the majority of San Ignacio University students enjoy the convenience of campus living in our residence halls.

21. Do I need a car at the campus?

It is not necessary. it depends on whether you like walking or not. Our housing is located within 15 minutes walking distance from the University.

22. How does a student get a single dorm room?

Student housing is composed of houses that are shared by 6-8 students. All apartments are furnished with beds, game room and a dining room; there is a TV near by the dining room. Also included in within the housing rate is Internet, cable, telephone (local calls only), water and electricity.

23. What is a disability?

As defined by the Americans with Disability Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a disability is a mental, physical, or emotional impairment that substantially limits one or more major life functions such as working and learning.

24. What type of diploma is required for entrance into our programs?

We require a high school diploma or a G.E.D certificate as minimum standards for acceptance into our University.

25. Will applicants with grades that are below the acceptable level receive special consideration if it is known have they had a documented disability?

This situation would be up to the academic director based on other qualifications as long as documentation is available.

26. If for any reason a student should be terminated of his/her classes, and withdraws from the program of study, all refunds will be made according to the following refund criteria:

- Cancellation must be made in person, by electronic mail, certified mail, and by a written termination notice.
- All payments received will be refunded if the school does not accept the applicant or if the student cancels within three (3) business days after signing the Enrollment Agreement and making initial payment.
- Cancellation after the third (3rd) business day, but before the first class, will result in a refund of all payments paid, minus any administrative related registration fees paid. Non-refundable fees are not to exceed $150.00.
- Cancellation after attendance has begun, but prior to a 40% completion of the term, will result in a pro-rate refund. The refund will be equal to total program hours divided by the number of hours completed.
- Cancellation after completing 40% of the term will result in a non refund.
- Termination Date: The termination date for refund computation purposes is the last date of actual attendance by the student unless earlier written notice is received.
- Refunds will be made within 30 days of termination or receipt of Cancellation notice.
- If a student reapplies within one academic school year, the student will not have to pay the application fee. However, all other fees will apply.
- If a student makes any payment in the form of a check and the check is returned to us by our Banking Institution as “Insufficient Funds”, there will be a $50.00 fee in addition to the amount of the Check.
- There will be a late fee penalty of $ 50.00, when monthly tuition payments are not paid on the due date.
- If a student fails a course, he/she must retake the failed course. The cost of a retake course is 75% of the full course cost. The grade is recorded permanently on the student’s academic record. The grade will be changed upon successful completion. Both grades will appear on the academic transcripts.




Would you be interested in learning more?